Should I call 911 if my parents are fighting?

Should I call 911 if my parents are fighting?

If they are fighting, you can phone 911. You do not need to decide if it is physical assault or verbal abuse. You are always welcome to call. There is no need to be terrified about dialing 911. If your parent's are hurting each other physically, then you should try to stop them until help arrives.

Even if your parent isn't injured, you should still call 911 if they are fighting. Violence is an answer that has been given too many times already. If you do not call, then you are giving permission for more violence. Even if nothing serious happens, you are still helping by making sure there are no broken bones or bloodied faces.

You should only call 911 if your parent threatens to kill themselves or others. If they just fight often enough, then they aren't going anywhere serious. Wait for a moment of clarity between blows before you act. If you wait long enough, then maybe they will both go to their rooms and think about what they have done.

In conclusion, if your parents are fighting, you should call 911. Fighting is never the answer, even when your parents are arguing. Asking for help is always better than keeping the violence flowing.

Should I call the police if neighbors are fighting?

In some cases, such as if someone is shouting "help" or if you hear physical assault, it may be acceptable to phone the police. If you need assistance determining what to do, advocates at the National Domestic Violence Hotline are accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week via phone, text, or online chat. They can provide advice on how to resolve your situation without calling the police.

Advocates at the National Domestic Violence Hotline can help you decide what action to take if you are in an abusive relationship. They can also link you with local resources. You can reach the hotline by phone at 1-800-799-7233 or online chat at The hotline's open 365 days a year - even on holidays.

If you do choose to call the police, here are some other options to consider: attaching objects to your partner's body (for example, a belt around the neck), using weapons against them, and attempting to have them removed from the relationship. These actions can place your partner in danger of being killed or injured.

The best option is often leaving the relationship. If you don't leave now, you'll never get out. Abuse changes people and it's not just their fault for being abused. It takes courage to seek help and there are risks involved in breaking free. But the rewards are worth it.

Can my parents call the cops on me?

Your parents have every right to contact the cops. However, following an investigation, the police may decide that no charges should be filed against you. People can contact the police if they are legitimately concerned that someone is a risk to themselves or others. For example, if a parent found drugs in their child's room, they would not be wrong for asking someone else what they should do with it.

In most cases, only a prosecutor can decide whether or not to file criminal charges. The police cannot just pick up the phone and order charges to be filed. Sometimes police officers will suggest that certain crimes should be prosecuted, but this is not their decision to make. They can't file charges just because they think you should go to jail. They can only report facts that lead to charges being filed.

The only time I can imagine your parents calling the cops on you is if they found a gun in your room or if you had done something violent. In this case, your parents would be acting as witnesses to any crime. They could not arrest you themselves, but they could tell the cops about what they saw.

It is important to remember that people call the cops for many reasons. Some calls are legitimate and necessary, while others are not. If your parents feel threatened or insecure, they might call the cops even if you haven't done anything wrong.

Can I call 911 if I don't feel safe?

Call 911 if you are concerned about your or your children's immediate safety. Emergency refuge is offered at Family Transition Place for battered women and their children. 519-941-HELP (4357), 905-584-HELP (4357) or 1-800-265-9178 is our 24-hour crisis/information line. The service is free of charge for all callers.

In addition to the domestic violence shelters, there are other options available to you. For example, if an arrest has been made or charges have been filed, the police may be able to provide you with a protective order. A protective order can help ensure that you and your children are protected from further harm while legal proceedings are pending. If you have not been arrested but still fear for your safety, you should contact the police department where the abuse occurred and request a protection order. The officer will help you complete a written statement regarding your fears and questions, which will be used by the court in making its decision.

Finally, if you do not feel safe at home, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or TTY 1-800-787-3224. We are available day or night and will connect you with an emergency shelter in your area.

Can you call the police if your parents are fighting?

If you believe you are being threatened or that one of your parents is badly injuring the other, you should contact the authorities. Arrest one or both of your parents on a charge of domestic violence (a major offense) or disturbing the peace (a minor offense), or something in between. They will need to be taken into custody so they can be brought before a judge.

By calling the police, you are taking an important step toward resolving the situation peacefully and preventing further abuse. The more help you get by reporting your parents' fight, the less likely it is that they will face criminal charges. However, if there is evidence of physical injury, such as bruises or marks, then your parents may face additional charges for assault.

Police officers will ask you questions about the situation to determine what type of action to take. If you feel like you cannot answer these questions truthfully, say so. Suggest that a friend or family member can be present while you are questioned by police so they have someone who can give them more information about the situation.

You have the right to request that any information about the incident that is not necessary for police to conduct their investigation remain confidential. This would include any information related to medical treatment you may have received, as well as any records related to previous incidents of domestic violence or abuse.

About Article Author

Ruth Hendrix

As a parent educator, Ruth Hendrix is passionate about empowering parents to take charge of their lives and have the power to make decisions that are best for themselves and their family. She has been working in the field of parenting education for over 10 years, providing consultation services to families on how they can be most successful as parents.

Related posts