At what age in Indiana can a child decide which parent to live with?

At what age in Indiana can a child decide which parent to live with?

When will my child be able to choose which parent he or she wants to live with? The court will make a custody decision for your kid until he or she reaches the age of 18. The court, however, takes the child's desires into account when making this judgement at the age of 14. For example, if the child is extremely attached to one parent and doesn't want to live with that parent, the court may grant legal rights to that parent even though the child wants to live with the other.

In Indiana, there are two methods used by courts to determine custody: joint legal custody or sole physical custody. Under both systems, each parent receives significant authority over certain issues related to their child's care and development. However, under sole physical custody, the parent who has physical custody of the child makes all major decisions about their life. This includes where they live, who they spend time with, and whether they receive medical attention. In contrast, under joint legal custody, each parent shares this authority.

Joint legal custody means that each parent contributes to the making of important decisions about their child's life. These include where the child lives, who they spend time with, and whether they receive medical attention. However, neither parent makes all these decisions alone; rather, both parents work together to make decisions about their child's welfare.

The decision between joint legal custody or sole physical custody is typically made by the judge at the time of the divorce.

At what age can a child decide where they live?

Until the age of 16, a kid cannot legally chose who they wish to live with. However, if there is a child arrangement order in place that stipulates where a kid should reside, this can be extended to 17 or 18. In other words, a kid can choose who they want to live with at any time before it's too late. There are several reasons why a judge might deny a request from an 11-year-old to move away from their parents: if doing so would be detrimental to the child's well-being; if the parent refusing the request has good reason for wanting the child to stay; or if another family member or friend is willing and able to take care of the child.

In general, kids under 12 don't really understand the importance of keeping agreements they make with others. This is not only true for moving away from home, but also shopping with their friends, eating in restaurants, etc. Even though they may want to keep their promise, if they feel like it can be done without hurting themselves or someone else, they will break their word and do whatever it takes to get what they want.

However, around age 12, a kid's understanding of responsibility increases and they start thinking about the long term. They begin to realize that making promises means something and that breaking them hurts others.

At what age can a child decide which parent to live with in Kansas?

When a youngster is of adequate age, maturity, and understanding, the court will consider his or her preference. There is, however, no set age at which a kid can choose to live with one parent over the other. The decision should be made by a child who is able to understand the nature of this choice and its consequences.

In Kansas, if you are unable to make your own decisions because of your youth, then it's best if someone makes those choices for you. A judge will allow a child under 18 years old to petition a court for permission to live with another adult. This other person would then have the same rights as a parent - they could not be denied access to their child unless it was necessary for their own health or safety. The court would also require that this other person assume the role of legal guardian if this was desired by the petitioner.

Children between the ages of 8 and 16 can express their wishes on these matters. If they want to live with one parent rather than the other, then the parents should work out some kind of a plan with the help of professionals who know about these things. Sometimes kids will agree to this type of living arrangement so they don't have to change schools - but they should only do this if it is something they feel comfortable with.

About Article Author

Jennifer Burns

Jennifer Burns is a freelance writer and blogger who loves to share her thoughts on all things family-related. She has three sons and enjoys writing about kids, parenting, and women's issues.

Disclaimer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Related posts